10 months ago
Monday, April 20, 2009
Table for 9
We don't take the whole family out to eat in a restaurant (fast food does not count) very often. It's not so much the expense, although it is not cheap, it's really just the logistics of it all. A few months ago we tried going to Golden Corral, it was super crowded. The manager sent us to one side of the restaurant because supposedly there was a big enough table over there for all of us. Wrong! There was nothing available so we hike across to the other side where they try to squeeze us all around a table for 6. It's bad enough that we get a lot of attention when we go out just because of the size of our family but when we are left standing in the middle of the restaurant with nowhere to go, that's even worse! After that we swore off ever going out again. Well, Saturday I decided that we have not been together much as a family and we needed to do something. We thought about where to go very carefully, someplace rather noisy, with large tables, possibly call ahead seating, and good service. Most of our kids are old enough to know how to behave so it's just the littles that we have to worry about. I think it is important for kids to learn how to act in public, and certain social manners that go along with eating out. We finally decided on On the Border, it was still early enough that it wouldn't be too crowded and Randy called ahead to make sure they knew we were coming and they could be prepared. When we got there they had already seated another party in our optimal booth so they pushed some tables together-exactly what we wanted to avoid-and tried to squeeze us in only to discover we were short a chair and not going to fit here! Now it turns into a big scene with the manager and hostess adding an extension to the table, getting another chair and getting us all seated again. In the meantime we are all standing around in the middle of the restaurant drawing yet more attention to ourselves. Ugh! I wanted to take a picture to post but decided it was best just to lay low and get through dinner. I have to say that the kids were so well behaved, our dinner was great, the kids were great, minus them forgetting Ryan's food which we ended up getting for free plus a card for another free kids meal when we come back. I find it funny that we cause such a commotion when we go places, I guess we must overwhelm people when they are not used to dealing with such a big family. I think it's neat for people to see that we are a family and were not afraid of going out. Well we are afraid but we do it anyways!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I have to say, the manager, Clark, was very cool and took care of us pretty well after he learned of the situation. Our server, Steve, was top notch and made sure everyone was happy. The hostesses on the other hand, were clueless and less than helpful. Being the first people you see at a resturant, they realy should be more accomodating and cordial than what we encountered. Overall, I was very please with our visit, and the fact that there were seating issues was totally expected... hehe... I just tried to be very patient through it all (as in the past I hadn't been so...) and trusted they would make it right. The Kids were the best behaved I think I have ever seen and it was a fun time...
Kudos to you both for not giving up..its good for the kids to learn how to behave when going out...especially when things don't exactly go as planned. As far as standing in the middle of the restaurant I think you have a very attractive family and most people were probably impressed to see how successful you are as parents. So don't be afraid you are doing an awesome job! Love, Sis
Growing up we rarely went to sit down restaurants and I remember those times fondly. I am sure your kids will also! Good for you all!
You all amaze me anyway with how well you do everything with your family. It is never too late or too early to teach kids etiquette at a restaurant...or at home. You guys do a great job of that. Remember formal night at home Kim. I don't think you were very excited about having to dress up and eat formally at our own dinner table, so I am glad you are seeing the benefit of giving your kids that experience. Love to all of you
Post a Comment