“May we . . . demonstrate kindness and love within our own families. Our homes are to be more than sanctuaries; they should also be places where God’s Spirit can dwell, where the storm stops at the door, where love reigns and peace dwells.”

-Thomas S. Monson

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Clear the Roads!

After a little bit of an ordeal (more on that later) Darrin finally has his permit! I took him in this morning before school for the written test, he ended up missing 5 but still passed. I was surprised he missed that many, he must have read the whole book 10 times. I am excited for him to start driving, not only does it help to have another driver in our house but I am just happy to be a part of this time in his life. I am still young enough to remember how exciting it was to start driving and feel like you gained a little freedom. I think we are forcing Darrin to grow up a little. He really has no interest in driving, he says he has nowhere to go but I have plenty of places to send him! Now for why this was such a hassle, a couple of years ago we legally had his last name changed to the one he has always gone by anyway. Well even though I had his new birth certificate I never had his social security card changed and since the # in the computer didn't match his name he couldn't take the test. That was last Friday, so Monday morning me and the littles drove into downtown Phoenix and waited in line with some very questionable characters to get a new card. They kept his original card and gave us a receipt and said we'd have the new card in 2 weeks but to just take in the paper to the MVD and we'd be good. Not! This morning we were there bright and early ready to go. Now because I don't have his card I don't have his ss# and there's nothing they can do until we have his #. Are you kidding me? This really shouldn't be this hard but I was determined not to let Darrin down again so back in the car, load up the 2 littles, run home, look up the #, drive back, everybody out, wait again, okay now were good to go. By this time I am just hoping he passes the darn test so I don't have to do this all over again. I am so glad it won't be this hard for the next 6! At least now we finally have everything changed to his legal name and there should be no more problems from here on out. It was great to see Darrin excited over getting his permit, he is really scared to drive though! So watch out, there's another teenage driver on the road!

5 comments:

Chelley said...

That is a great picture of Darrin! Jonathan is scared to drive also. I think we scare him every time we react to his driving!

I was telling Bryan how much I miss Jon and Darrin being together. He really needs a good, strong friend like Darrin, they have the same interests and the dedication to being good young men. I miss being closer to you guys!! We are not that far away and I am willing to drive to keep them together. Baseball is over in about 2 weeks and then Jon has a lot more time on his hands!

Sharibugs said...

Congratulations Darrin! The first year of driving is all about running errands for mom and dad anyways right? Thats such a great picture!

Amma said...

Darrin, Darrin, Darrin. You are making your old grandma feel VERY old. I can remember you running around the house in Hawaii with diapers on, like it was just yesterday and now you are on your way to a whole new adventure. DRIVING........Of course that could be a good thing if you drive to Calif to see your old amma. I love you and am so proud of the young man you have turned out to be. Keep up the good work and remember NO GIRLS in the car....

Jonathan said...

Nice job Darrin. Driving is pretty fun once you get the hang of it. Maybe we will see eachother on the road haha!

AZ Larsens said...

Wow, this makes me VERY happy my parents did my whole name change thing when I was 5 years old! (I was adopted by my step-dad) What a hassle! How nice to have someone to help you run your errands/kids around!