This is not a vent, I am not a venter (at least I don't think I am!) This is more of an observation, or a "Here's your sign moment". I spent all day yesterday with Darrin at an appointment with his hand doctor, he is having surgery to repair the cartilage that was torn when he broke his wrist. Anyway, the nurse talking to us turned to me and asked if he was my son. Obviously we don't look alike but come on, who else would I take to the doctor, my brother, my nephew, the neighbor boy? It is not offensive just to me a really unnecessary question. The funny thing is that our differences are never an issue until somebody else points it out. All it takes is a questioning look and I know what they are thinking. Yes he is mine and I am proud of it. Maybe that should be my quick comeback next time. Another thing happened at Kohls the other day. I was having a conversation with the cashier and he made the comment that I didn't look old enough to have a 15 year old son. I think this is supposed to be taken as a compliment, but I only think it works if you are like in your 50's. How old did he think I was? I know I don't look 21, then I would definitely not be old enough to have a 15 year old. I assured him I was old enough, in fact I was old enough to have 7 kids! Just to ease your curiosity-because I know you are-I was 18 (3 weeks shy of 19) when I had Darrin at a tiny little hospital in Hawaii with my mom and dad by my side. It was most definitely the happiest and scariest day of my life! I am so proud of my son, he is such an incredible person. He is smart, extremely athletic, and super cute. I know he may have to face some challenges in this life that I have never had to, but I hope most people will take the time to know him for who he is. So yes, he is my son.
10 months ago

3 comments:
You tell 'em Kimmy! Of course he is your son! He's my nephew too and nobody better ever doubt it! You ROCK Darrin!
I have gotten a lot of the "you are not old enough" or "how old were you when" stuff. Not really a compliment, just makes you feel judged! Darrin is a great kid and if you get sick of him he is welcome to move in anytime! I hope the surgery goes well!!
Well I am a major venter on my blog, and that issue totally vent worthy. My Zack thinks Darrin is the coolest guy and he is super cute. People can be be thoughtless sometimes! I would take the you don't look old enough statement as a complete compliment though.
Post a Comment