“May we . . . demonstrate kindness and love within our own families. Our homes are to be more than sanctuaries; they should also be places where God’s Spirit can dwell, where the storm stops at the door, where love reigns and peace dwells.”

-Thomas S. Monson

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dear Mom

Since life in the Skabelund house is rather mundane at the moment, a very rare thing I assure you, I decided to blog about the most important woman in my life. . . . my mother. I have been thinking alot about my mom lately, I guess because she lives so far away and I don't get to enjoy her being involved in my everyday life. I think about her daily as I strive to be a good mom and follow her example in how she raised us kids. My mom is one of those rare people who can love unconditionally, without restrictions. You see, my mom did not come into my life until I was about 9 years old when she met and later married my Dad. I truly believe that Heavenly Father brought us together, He knew that I would need her and for that I am eternally grateful. I know that my life, and me as a person would be extremely different without her love and guidance throughout my life. To me she is a pillar of strength, I have watched her face some very hard times with her head held high. She never feels sorry for herself, she picks herself up and moves on. My mom is constantly serving others, I have never known her to say no to an opportunity to help others and do it with an attitude of gratitude, never expecting anything in return. Growing up, my mom was always my best friend. I felt safe confiding in her and loved to spend time in the kitchen with her talking away as she cooked. She never made me feel as if I was in the way, or that she didn't have time to listen to me. I always hated the fact that my mom often knew things before I could tell her. I always thought she possessed some rare psychic ability but now know that it must have been a mother's intuition and divine inspiration. My mom is the most spiritual person I know, she has always been very close to God and has taught me that all things are possible through Him. Even though I am raising my own family now, I know I will never outgrow the need for my mom, especially on those days when I seriously doubt my own ability to be a good mom. I am grateful that she loves my kids, that she loves being a grandma and never tires of being with them. Thanks mom for all that you are, all that you have taught me and for choosing to love me. I love you more than these words can express.

2 comments:

Sharibugs said...

Thats was nice Kimmie! Moms are awesome!

Amma said...

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to this. I know I emailed you my response, but wanted to let you know how much I appreciate the kind words. Not sure I am all those things, but it is nice to hear. I want you to know how much I love you and always have. I am so proud of the wonderful mom and wife you are. I have always been proud of you and how much you love your family. Thank you for being the woman you are. God was so right on when He put us together. Of course He is Always right on. I love you