“May we . . . demonstrate kindness and love within our own families. Our homes are to be more than sanctuaries; they should also be places where God’s Spirit can dwell, where the storm stops at the door, where love reigns and peace dwells.”

-Thomas S. Monson

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

How does your garden grow?

Well, I am going to try again. I love the idea of gardening but my knowledge is very limited and I was born with a black thumb! A couple of weeks ago we dug up the old weed & grass infested garden plot and started over. I am attempting the square foot garden method which seems to be a very organized way to plant which my ocd brain very much appreciates. We spent some time on Saturday planting all the seeds along with 4 tomato plants, 2 strawberry plants and Ryan's lima bean plant that he brought home from school. So far it looks pretty but nothing has started sprouting yet so we'll see if I've killed it all already! I am hoping for a great crop, I love the idea of growing our own food and providing somewhat for the family. Of course that only works if your children actually eat vegetables! Wish me luck!


Before



After (we also added fencing to keep the dogs/kids out)

3 comments:

Chelley said...

That looks great! And small enough that I could do something like that! I may have to give it a try!

The Tall Girl Cooks said...

I absolutely wish you luck. I have a black thumb as well and if you guys can grow something I might get inspired. I tried growing herbs in pots on my windowsill and they sprouted ... then died. What gives? Am I that awful to live with?

Anonymous said...

That is so great. I have wanted to try that square foot gardening. Let me know how it goes. Good Luck!